Thursday, October 6, 2011

Little Shoes, Big Helper

Caleb changes every day, but once in a while there comes a poignant moment where I know my baby is growing up. The time he walked himself to the bath tub for the first time, the day he picked up his first meal worth of finger foods, little signs he no longer relies on me for every single thing. It's beautiful, but a little bittersweet at times.

This morning, it was the shoes. Caleb has been fascinated by helping with his shoes. Opening and shutting the velcro and handing them to me one at a time. Today, I asked him to bring me his shoes as I sat in the glider in his room. First he brought me the left one, and then the right. Then I patted my lap. He clamored up and handed me each shoe. From start to finish, I never left my chair. Those who are parents will appreciate the novelty of sitting still for 5 straight minutes with an active 15 month old in the house.

My eyes got a little misty as I realized that my "big helper" who usually makes more work for me with his helpfulness (like unloading all the clean laundry and cabinet contents onto the floor many times a day) is suddenly becoming a true help. I guess I didn't expect it to happen so soon. I'm so proud of my little guy!

No comments: