Friday, December 10, 2010

How's it going?

I thought I'd post a short update on how our journey to a family mission statement is going.

So far, I'd say it's going well, if more slowly that I expected. While we haven't had a quiet time everyday, we've been having them about 5/7 days each week. The first few nights are always the hardest to get rolling. It's like trying to have a phone conversation with someone you haven't spoken to in a while, it takes time to get reacquainted. I remember saying to David a few nights ago, "Tonight I'm looking forward to quiet time." That's when I finally felt like we were making progress. I'm pretty good at remembering to "behave", I'm not very good at fostering my joy in my relationship with God. How sad it is when I trade the Good News for living a moral life!

I got so discouraged by this tendency of mine to settle for "being good" over actually relating to God that I began to question whether I really knew God at all. If I could be so callous to the Gospel, had it really penetrated my heart? As I sought God in prayer about this I felt peace and reassurance that all the callousness of my heart is a reminder of how dear His grace should be and all the good works I can become so prideful of are only a reflection of the work he's doing in me.

So what does all this have to do with our family mission statement? Our days will be defined by what we value most, and I'm grateful that God is moving my head knowledge to my heart so that he can truly become my treasure.


No comments: