Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Caleb: 19 Months

I think I already covered my "welcome" to 19-months in my post about the best and worst of times : ) Besides a growing sense of independence (also known as stubbornness) there has been a lot to love about this month.

Caleb is very much becoming my little helper. Anytime I can find a way to involve him in helping out around the house his face lights up with delight. It's as if he can think of no joy greater than bringing me the dishtowel so I can dry his bib or moving the laundry from the basket to the couch for me to fold. I am, of course, enchanted by this behavior and find my eyes misting up as I watch these seeds of independence grow.

My little helper also loves to give hugs and to share, especially with small babies. He recently tried to feed my bestfriend's 4 month old a cherrio in nursery. With kids his own age...hmm, not so much. While he plays nicely for the most part, they better not try to share his mommy or daddy's attention. My lap has an occupancy rating of one according to Caleb. Still, it is sweet to see the affection he pours out over our friend's babies and definitely makes me yearn to give him a little brother or sister even more!

Another adorable new development this month is his growing engagement in story time. He loves his animal books and is now starting to make other animal sounds besides "Moo". He does a great chicken impression (boc boc!!!), but his cock-a-doodle-do is the most endearing thing ever. "What does a rooster say Caleb?" "DOE-dee-DOE-DOE-DOE!!!!" Love it! Even if he doesn't know what an animal says, he will make up a sound and say it so enthusiastically it's impossible not to laugh.

Books with numbers and counting are also getting some special attention. He loves pretending to count the items on the page by touching each object 5 or 6 times. It doesn't sound that exciting on paper, but it's sooo cute to watch.

Caleb's love of all things round continues and "ball" is still his favorite word. A ball is anything circular so our daily conversations go something like this:

Caleb: "Ball?" (pointing to clock)
Mommy: "Clock"
Caleb: "BALL!!!"
Mommy: *shrug*

Rinse and repeat. Lol. He'll get it eventually : )

Last, but not least, we finally had our 18-month well baby visit this month. He's grown a whopping 1.5 inches in 4 months, keeping him in the 50th percentile. I forgot to ask what he weighed last time, but at 23lbs, 10oz he is holding steady at the 20th percentile still. I'm thankful because he definitely dropped about a pound due to the prolific number of stomach bugs our family has attracted over the past 3 months.

Here are some of my favorite photos from this month:

Jungle animals are taking center stage at our house this month

Caleb in his "tiger" outfit




Spending some quality time with his BFF, giraffe




Pretending to be an elephant. I may or may not have started this when I convinced him that elephants wear socks...and if he wants to be an elephant, he has to wear socks too...

My little tiger on his slide. I love that he can burn so much energy indoors and that it brings him so much delight!




No comments: