Monday, May 23, 2011

A Week Full of New (Simple) Recipes: Lemon Oregano Chicken

For weeks the farmers market has been promising free range chickens and I've checked eagerly each week waiting for them to arrive. In the meantime, we've eaten lots of vegetarian as well as most of our supply of meat in the freezer. This week, the promised free-range birds were finally available. I must admit, I was a little sad to see they were all about 2.5-3lbs, but I eagerly took home two and decided I'd find something special to do with them.

While trying to find something for dinner Saturday night, I found this incredible recipe for Roasted Lemon Oregano Chicken. I followed the recipe almost exactly, but I did substitute dried oregano for fresh.

I felt like such a chef rubbing the marinade underneath the skin of the chicken. David didn't share my enthusiasm when I called him in to take a look. I believe a direct quote would be, "Gross honey, it looks like you're wearing a chicken glove." Ah well, I knew he'd appreciate it when it was all cooked!

The Finished Product

To say we both devoured the 2.5lb chicken might be an understatement. The skin was so crispy, the meat so juicy and flavorful. I sauteed up some local asparagus to go with it and it was perfect.

When I went to pick the bones for soup pieces I was only able to get a small handful of chicken. So today, I processed it up with some peas and fed it to Caleb for lunch. He loved it!

Yum

Caleb Signing "More"


This was such a big hit, I think it will be a while before I make chicken any other way. Tonight I'm boiling the bones to make broth. Yum!

No comments: