Friday, September 2, 2011

Friday Favorites: Sweet Potato Muffins

Wednesday was one of those rare nights I find myself with no inspiration what-so-ever for dinner. These nights often happen after family or friends leave to go back home and this week was no exception. The Tews headed back to South Carolina Tuesday morning and I was in a rut. I didn't want to plan dinner, or cook, or do house work. I wanted to pout. And I did for about an hour.

Then my sweet boy woke up from his nap and we played in the yard, walked across the street to visit our neighbor, I got a phone call from Jen during his nap and that afternoon our back-yard neighbor stopped for a chat and to let Caleb pet their two dogs. God is so gracious to provide such wonderful friends and neighbors when I'm in a funk! Still, I found myself dragging a little bit on Wednesday and asking one of my least favorite questions to leave unanswered, "What's for dinner?"

I noticed 3 neglected sweet potatoes in the pantry and decided to make sweet potato fries. I didn't really have anything to go with them, so in a few minutes I found myself turning to my husband and asking how he felt about PB&J and sweet potato fries for dinner. Fortunately, I'm married to a very laid back guy who was actually enthusiastic about this plan. So I chopped up one for fries and baked the other two.

It was about this time I realized I had no plan for breakfast in the morning. I've been trying to feed us a warm breakfast each day. It doesn't always happen, but I love starting our day that way when we can. I remembered a sweet potato muffin recipe our friend Melissa had passed along to us and decided to try it. Here's the link: Whole Grain Sweet Potato Muffins

Not only did Caleb give them his enthusiastic approval, I really like them too. David says the texture is weird to him so he's been letting Caleb and I have the bulk. I omitted the dried fruit which would have probably put a more "grown up" spin on them. They are very easy to make and will definitely be a repeat recipe around here!


No comments: